KeePass Password Safe is a free, open source, lightweight, and easy-to-use password manager for Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, and Android mobile devices. With so many passwords to remember and the need to vary passwords to protect your valuable data, it’s nice to have KeePass to manage your passwords in a secure way. KeePass puts all your passwords in a highly encrypted database and locks them with one master key or a key file. As a result, you only have to remember one single master password or select the key file to unlock the whole database. And the databases are encrypted using the best and most secure encryption algorithms currently known, AES and Twofish. See our features page for details.Features
- Strong security (AES encryption, SHA-256 hash, protection against dictionary and guessing attacks, in-memory protection, ...).
- Portable (no installation required), available for many platforms (Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, smart devices/phones, ...).
- Efficient and flexible organization (entry groups, tags, time fields, file attachments, ...).
- Various data transfer methods (clipboard, drag and drop, auto-type, plugins can provide integration with other applications, ...).
- Powerful password generator (generation based on character sets and patterns, with many options).
- Extensible (plugin architecture) and multi-language (more than 40 languages are available).
- Enhanced high DPI support.
- Added trigger action 'Show message box' (which can abort the current trigger execution or execute a command line / URL).
- The 'Database has unsaved changes' trigger condition now supports choosing between the active database and the database that triggered the event.
- Added parameter for the trigger action 'Activate database (select tab)' that allows activating the database that triggered the event.
- Auto-Type: added workaround for KiTTY's default Ctrl+Alt behavior (which differs from Windows' behavior).
- Auto-Type: added workaround for PuTTYjp's default Ctrl+Alt behavior (which differs from Windows' behavior).
- Added up/down arrow buttons for reordering auto-type associations in the entry editing dialog.
- While entering the master key on a secure desktop, dimmed screenshots are now also displayed on all non-primary screens.
- Added support for importing VisKeeper 3.3.0 TXT files.
- The group tree view is now saved and restored during most group tree updates.
- In the main entry list, multiple entries can now be moved by one step up/down at once.
- If Caps Lock is on, a balloon tip indicating this is now also displayed for password text boxes immediately after opening a dialog (where the password text box is the initially focused control).
- In the cases where Windows would display outdated thumbnail and peek preview images for the main window, KeePass now requests Windows to use a static bitmap instead (showing only the KeePass logo).
- Added fallback method for parsing dates/times (the default parser fails for some custom formats specified in the Control Panel).
- Added workaround for .NET ToolStrip height bug.
- Added own process memory protection for Unix-like systems (as Mono doesn't provide any effective memory protection method).
- On Unix-like systems, Shift+F10 (and Ctrl+Alt+5 and Ctrl+NumPad5 on Mac OS X) now shows the context menu in most list/tree view controls and rich text boxes (like on Windows).
- KPScript: for the 'Import' command, a different master key can now be specified using the standard master key command line parameters with the prefix 'imp_' (e.g. -imp_pw:Secret).
- KPScript: added option '-FailIfNotExists' for the 'GetEntryString' command.
- KPScript: added '-refx-Group' and '-refx-GroupPath' entry identification parameters.
Improvements / Changes:
- Improved compatibility with ClearType.
- Improved support for high contrast themes.
- When duplicating a group/entry, the creation time and the last access time of the copy are now set to the current time.
- Character picker dialog: initially the text box is now focused, improved tab order, and picked characters are now inserted at the current insertion point (instead of the end).
- Ctrl+Tab is now handled only once when the database tab bar has the focus.
- When exporting to a KeePass 1.x KDB file, a warning/error is now shown if the master key contains/is a Windows User Account.
- Unknown trigger events/conditions/actions are now ignored by the trigger dialog.
- Reduced group tree view flickering.
- Improved default value for the entry history size limit.
- Improved menu check mark and radio images.
- Improved list view column resizing.
- Improved list view scrolling.
- Secure edit control performance improvements.
- In some cases, double-clicking the tray icon now brings KeePass to the foreground.
- Improved concurrent UI behavior during auto-type.
- Auto-Type: improved compatibility with keyboard layouts with combining apostrophes, quotation marks and tildes.
- Auto-Type: improved virtual key translation on Unix-like systems.
- KPScript: the 'EditEntry' command now also updates the time fields of all affected entries.
- KPScript: the 'DeleteEntry' and 'DeleteAllEntries' commands now create deleted object information (improving synchronization behavior).
- Upgraded installer.
- Various code optimizations.
- Minor other improvements.
Supported Operating Systems: WinMe, Win2000, WinXP, WinVista, WinVista x64, Win7 x32, Win7 x64, Win8, Win8 x64
Program Limitations: <p>None</p>